Costco Style Chocolate Muffins

My preschooler is a finicky eater who can always stand to gain some weight. So when my mom-in-law gave her a Costco chocolate muffin and she gobbled up every bite, I wondered if there was a way to mimic the muffins at home. Whether you love Costco’s chocolate muffins (which, incidentally, I hear are made with a mix, just like the recipe I share below) or you want to try a new dessert (cuz let’s face it, these are more like cupcakes than muffins), I think you’ll find this an excellent recipe.

What You’ll Need
1 box Duncan Hines Devil’s Food Cake mix
1 box Jello instant chocolate pudding mix
4 eggs
1/4 cup oil
½ teaspoon vanilla
½ cup water
1 cup sour cream
12 oz. chocolate chips (I used dark chocolate, but I believe Costco uses milk chocolate; my husband thought, to be more like Costco’s muffins, I should have doubled the amount of chocolate chips.)

Muffin pan (Costco makes theirs jumbo muffins, but I used a standard muffin pan)
Paper baking cups or cooking spray
Large mixing bowl
Spoon



How to Do It

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and spray the muffin pan with cooking spray (or place paper baking cups in the muffin pan holes).

In a large bowl, combine cake mix with pudding mix. Add eggs, oil, water, vanilla, and sour cream and mix well. Fold in the chocolate chips. Fill the muffin pan holes ¾ of the way full with this batter.

Bake for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick stuck in the middle of the muffins comes out clean. (Baking time will be longer for jumbo muffins and less for mini muffins.) Allow to cool in the pan for five minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
Bookmark and Share

2 comments

  1. Hi Kristina, These sound delicious- no wonder your daughter gobbled them up! If you're interested in Duncan Hines deals and recipes, check us out on
    Facebook: http://bit.ly/1XUM0f
    Twitter: http://bit.ly/IDxOy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy. I'm going to have to print this and plan to make it... soon...

    ReplyDelete