Mar 11, 2010

Did You Know You Can Eat That?

If you'd like to try something new at your next meal, or if you have a small yard and want to make the most of it when growing edibles, think about eating parts of vegetables that are often thrown away. Not every part of every vegetable is safe or pleasant to eat, but you might be surprised by the delicious nature of many "secondary edible" parts of veggies. Here are a few examples:

Try eating the young leaves and flowers off snap beans.


Beet, radish, turnip, onion, and carrot leaves are also yummy. Try sauteing them like collard greens or chopping them into salads. Young leaves off English and Southern peas are good, too.


Broccoli and cauliflower leaves and flower stems are a great addition to a salad.


The unfurled tassel and young leaves off sweet corn can be cooked into a garnish.

The stem tips and young leaves off cucumber may be sautéed or chopped into salads. The stems and leaves from sweet potatoes are edible, too.


Okra leaves are delicious, too.

Parsley roots are edible and are often roasted or sauted.

The young leaves, flowers, and yes, the seeds, from squash are excellent. 


What other "secondary edible" parts do you eat off your vegetables?

Bookmark and   
         Share

3 comments:

  1. I don't eat too much 'extras' off my veggies, though I've heard that you can eat rose petals, though I've never tried them.

    Being a mystery writer, I'm too aware some things are poisonous (like potato sprouts), so I'm a bit leery about eating things that aren't normal. If I don't recognize it, I'm gonna figure out what it is before I ingest it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, Liberty, you should NEVER eat a part of a plant unless you're sure it isn't poisionous!

    P.S. I've had rose petals. They are a little sweet and kinda fun if you're having a girlie tea party :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if different types of roses have different flavors (just as there are a variety of scents...)

    ReplyDelete