Jul 27, 2010

No More Dryer Sheets

Since I began reading The House That Cleans Itself, I've been thinking a lot about how my house sometimes works against me. For example, I've always used dryer sheets, but I have a tendency never to throw them out afterward. I can't find them in the dryer, and when I fold the clothes, somehow the dryer sheets always end up on the floor or caught up in the blankets. Not only does this make for a mess, but it drives my husband crazy.

Enter the Bounce Dryer Bar. This little do-dad comes with a small plastic holder that has a sticky back so it adheres to the inside of the dryer. Then what looks a bit like a bar of soap slips into the holder. The manufacturer claims it will last between 2 to 4 months, on average, depending upon the bar you buy. (The bars come in 2 month and 4 month sizes.)

I began using the Dryer Bar about 5 months ago and have refilled it once. It works just as well as dryer sheets, has stayed stuck to my dryer, and is super easy to refill. I also like having one less step (adding a dryer sheet) to the chore of laundry. And...no more dryer sheets that need throwing away!

Some friends have expressed concern the bar might leave grease stains or something similar on clothes left in the dryer. This hasn't been a problem for me, and I often leave a load of laundry in the dryer over night.

The Dryer Bar does have a pretty strong scent at first; some people might not like that. The scent left on clothes is like any other dryer sheet. One time, the bar fell out of it's holder, but it slid back in place easily, and I've never had that problem since. My only real complaint is I can't seem to find just the refill bar. Every time I need a refill, I have to buy the Bar and the holder, which seems wasteful.

I have not kept track of how many loads I can run through each bar, so I can't tell you if it's a money saving device. I just know it's make keeping my house a little bit easier.




3 comments:

  1. Hmmm! I'll have to look for this when I run out of dryer sheets. Sounds like a handy-dandy little doo-dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there a lot of lint stuck around the holder? And when you change the holder does it leave a sticky spot on the dryer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope, no lint around it. And I haven't had to change the holder yet, just the bar. According to the manufacturer, all the sticky stuff comes off with a little Dawn: http://getsatisfaction.com/bounce/topics/can_i_remove_the_bounce_dryer_bar_holder

    ReplyDelete