6 Quick Breakfast Options

It seems everyone is in a hurry in the morning. My hubby sleeps as long as he can before getting ready and dashing off to work, and my kids always seem to have a million needs in the AM. That's why I rarely cook breakfast on weekdays. But I also want my family to start the day out right. So I usually choose one of these options for weekday breakfasts: 

 1. Breakfast burritos. These are much cheaper than store bought breakfast burritos, costing about 71 cents each, including the foil packaging. Put them in the fridge the night before (to defrost), then place them in the oven before taking your shower; they'll be ready when you head out the door. I've not tried microwaving them yet, but if you want to try this, put them in a freezer bag, instead of foil. Before nuking, remove them from the bag and wrap them in a paper towel. 

 2. Muffins with ham, bacon, or nuts. The meat or nuts add protein so necessary to make it through the morning. Just place one muffin in each freezer bag, freeze, then set in the refrigerator the night before. Nike to warm in the morning. Morning Glory muffins are a nice choice. You could also try baked donuts or slices of quick bread with meat or nuts in them.

 

3. Whole wheat pancakes. These don't have much protein, so they aren't my favorite option. But they are a favorite of my picky eater. Whole wheat is not only healthier than white flour pancakes, but they keep you full longer. Just whip up a bunch, put one each in a freezer bag and freeze. Before serving, remove from the bag, place on a plate, and warm in the microwave. 

 4. Boiled eggs. These are super easy to store and travel with. 

 5. Oatmeal. This isn't good if you're on the go, but if you want a hearty, quick breakfast, it's great. Avoid those little packages of flavored oatmeal; they are expensive and high in sugar. Instead, opt for a box of quick cooking oats. You can cook them over the stove, or just toss them in a bowl in the microwave along with some milk. (Using milk instead of water makes the oatmeal much creamier - plus adds nutrients.) Cinnamon and nutmeg make an easy topping, but for some added protein, top with yogurt, peanut butter, or nuts. Or try bananas or fresh berries. Even a small amount of apple pie filling or applesauce is good. Don't overcook oatmeal, though, or it get's sticky. 

6. Oatmeal nut bars. Okay, I haven't actually tried these, but they gets rave reviews form some of my friends.

Share |

4 comments

  1. Great ideas! We've been struggling with getting good breakfasts lately

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas! I've frozen pancakes and waffles several years ago and stacked them with double layers of wax paper in between them.I think a bag held four nicely. ;)

    Recently found that steel cut oats are better for you than rolled oats. The cooking time is longer (about 20 minutes), they resemble grains, and have a hint of sweetness. Flavor them the same as rolled oats.

    I plan on trying those burritos this week. I'll let you know how they do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cook a big batch of oatmeal: oats, water and raisins. I cook as you would normal oats and then put in a container and it lasts the whole week. In the morning I spoon some into a bowl and microwave for a few minutes. you can add some milk and syrup or sugar if you like. I just warm it up and slice a banana on top of it and eat it as breakfast. It's filling, quick, and I have lost 20 pounds having this breakfast. On weekends, I am off my diet and have my buckwheat pancake and eggs as usual. :)
    PS my husband also eats this oatmeal for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tereza, thanks for that. My kids eat oatmeal and I keep trying to like them, too :) I'm surprised they don't get clumpy and sticky when you store them in the fridge. I'll try it!

    ReplyDelete