Why I'm Planning My Garden NOW

While I simultaneously prepare for Christmas, I'm planning my next vegetable garden. It's not just excitement about next year's garden that has my brain turning - it's the fact that I can start my seeds on December 21st!

Yes, this flies in the face of conventional wisdom, but winter sowing (as it's called) not only lets gardeners get a jump on seed starting, which leads to earlier planting in the garden (HINT: You don't have to wait until the last threat of frost), which leads to a longer growing period, which leads to more produce from your plants. Winter sown plants are also hardier than traditionally sown plants from seed.

Winter sowing is also a piece of cake. For complete directions, go here.

2 comments

  1. Interesting. I have no sunny windows here and I was wondering how to start my seeds early. Might have to try this. I imagine the package our rotissere chicken came in would work. What zone are you in? We'll have snow until April at least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teekaroo, it doesn't matter what gardening zone you're in. Honest. The seeds know when it's safe to come up. Also, don't feel like you must plant them in late December. I've winter sowed through March. But the earlier the seeds sprout, the sooner you'll have producing plants.

    ReplyDelete