Here is a great way to use some of the preserves you have in your pantry. I used apple butter, but you could use any type of fruit butter, jam, preserve, or similar canned goods - store bought or home made.
What You Need:
1 stick softened, unsalted butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 cup oats
1 1/4 cup apple butter
8x8 baking dish
How to Do It:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Line the baking dish with parchment paper. The paper should come up the sides of the dish.
3. Cream the butter with the sugar and salt. Add the flour and mix with your hands until the mixture is no long powdery, but moist and lumpy.
4. Mix in the oats.
5. Pour about 3/4 of the flour mixture into the bottom of the parchment-lined baking dish. Press down with your hands.
6. If the apple butter or other preserve isn't pourable, heat it in a saucepan until it is. Pour the preserve over the flour mixture in the bottom of the pan.
7. Sprinkle the remaining flour mixture over the preserves. Press down gently with your hands.
8. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for another 30 minutes. Carefully lifting two corners of the parchment paper, remove the treat from the pan and place on a cooling rack. Let cool completely before cutting into bars.