A Peek Into My Garden

My garden is slowly coming to life. We've had lots of cool weather, so (it seems to me) the garden isn't as lush as it usually is at this time, but I'm still excited about many of the things I see growing.

Two large pots hold the columnar apple trees I purchased just a month ago. Trying to make use of every available space, I planted a mixture of salad greens in the pots, too. These seedlings are just about three weeks old, and range in taste from peanuty, to pleasantly bitter, to sweet.

Yesterday I was excited to discover baby apples on one of my columnar apple trees. I didn't think I would get any fruit this year.

My cabbages are huge! (I planted the seeds in August or so; the seedlings stayed small all winter, but now, they are larger than if I had planted them this spring.) A single plant measures about 35 inches across. The heads are just now forming.

This isn't much to look at now, but I'm excited because I'd just about given up on my Jerusalem artichokes (sunchokes). I bought some at a local grocery store - the only source I could find - but they seemed pretty processed and not that fresh. No mind! After patiently waiting, they are finally coming up. (The grow bag they are planted in is covered with netting to keep the neighborhood cats from using it as a litter box. As soon as the plants get bigger, I'll remove the netting.)

Blue podded peas (which are actually purple). We don't like the flavor quite as well as ordinary green peas, but they are beautiful in the garden, get going earlier than other peas, and produce more peas than other varieties I've tried.
LinkAn overview of my veggie bed. We have potatoes, herbs, peas, onions, lettuce, carrots, parsnips, and tomatoes. The chickens are way in the back, weeding


Lest you think my garden is strictly utilitarian, here are some of my pretties. The upper photo shows lupines and lilies, and the bottom photo shows Oriental poppies and iris.

What's happening in your garden?

No comments