Chocolate Zucchini Cake Recipe

I use lots of healthy zucchini recipes  (#1 and #2 are what my family craves most!), but sometimes I like to splurge. I'll make zucchini chocolate chip cookies for the kids (they LOVE them; you'll find the recipe in A Vegetable for Every Season) or I'll make chocolate zucchini cake. Oh yes. It's yummy. Here's the recipe. You're welcome.

(NOTE 07/29/14: Long time reader Tereza Crump had a ton of crooked neck yellow squash, so she tried this recipe with them. She says the result was delish! She used 1 cup of butter in place of the oil, and she recommends "you grate your veggies in the finer grater. I...grated the veggies on the coarser side. You could see the veggies when you put it in the batter. I was afraid that it would be seen once the cake was baked. Not so! But for safe measure, if you have picky eaters, grate the veggies on the fine grater." Thanks, Tereza!)

Chocolate Zucchini Cake Recipe


1/2 cup milk*
1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar*
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour (or 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour)
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil or melted extra virgin coconut oil
2 eggs
1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
2 cups zucchini, grated (about 2 medium zucchini)
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and lightly flour a 9x13 in. baking pan; set aside. Combine the milk and vinegar and set aside.

2. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the sugar, butter, and oil. One at a time, add the eggs and beat until blended. Beat in the vanilla extract.

4. Pour about a third of the flour mixture into the butter mixture, beating just until blended. Add about a third of the milk and vinegar mixture (which should now look lumpy) until just blended. Repeat two more times, until all the flour mixture and milk and vinegar mixture is gone.



5. Fold in the zucchini.

6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top.
Bake 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool 15-20 minutes; serve warm.


* If preferred, replace the milk and vinegar with 1/2 cup of buttermilk.


5 comments

  1. here in the south there is an abundance of yellow squash. Could I use that instead? thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried it, Tereza, so I'm not sure. Yellow squash as a stronger flavor than zucchini, and zucchini is more moist, I think. But it could work. If you try it, please let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making this cake for breakfast this morning to celebrate my 12 y.o. daughter's bday. :) I added shredded apple instead of zucchini. It's the middle of winter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Making this cake for my 9 y.o bday party. Instead of butter I used coconut oil and apple sauce. Instead of eggs I used flax eggs. Instead of buttermilk I used coconut milk. I hope it turns out. :) It's in the oven. Say a prayer for me. Ha!

    ReplyDelete