|Michelangelo is most famous for painting the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. This part of that painting, known as The Creation of Adam, is probably the most recognized work of Michelangelo.|
See some of Michelangelo's famous paintings here; click here to view some of his other art.
Be sure to give your child plenty of time to study each work of art. Ask: Does Michelangelo's work remind you of any other artist we've studied? Why or why not? What kinds of stories does Michelangelo's art tell? Are they realistic or not? What kinds of colors and brush strokes and shapes does he use? How do his paintings make you feel? See if you can find out how big some of Michelangelo's paintings were.
* Biography of Michelangelo
* Longer bio of Michelangelo
* Fun facts about Michelangelo
* Coloring page: The Creation of Adam (also here)
* Coloring page: Delphes Sylphide
* Coloring page: Misc. Sistine Chapel images
* Coloring page: head of David
* Video: Michelangelo and the Sistine Chapel (from Book of Virtues)
* Video: Dropping in on Renaissance Artists
* Video: The Sistine Chapel
* Activity: Paint on the "ceiling" like Michelangelo (see also)
* Activity: Make a sculpture from soap
* Activity: Make a fresco, like Michelangelo
Learn more about this free art history curriculum for kids, plus a list of all artists covered so far, by clicking here.