Cauliflower Chowder Recipe - lower carb, gluten free

I'm always looking for ways to lower my higher glucose carb intake because, well - they make me fat. Plus, I feel better when I don't eat them. But balancing this need with the need to keep our food budget small and find food everyone in the family - including a picky, low weight kid - will eat, is tough. But with this cauliflower chowder recipe, I have the best of all worlds! It's very much like a potato chowder - only much lower in carbs. It's inexpensive to make. And it's totally delish and everyone in the family loves to eat it!


Cauliflower Chowder Recipe

4 bacon slices, cooked and chopped
2 tablespoons butter
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 celery stalks, diced
2 carrots, diced
1/4 cup flour (any type, including gluten free varieties)
4 cups beef stock (I've also used ham stock)
1 cup milk
1 cauliflower head, roughly chopped
1 bay leaf
Salt
Pepper

1. Place a large Dutch oven or stockpot over medium high heat. Add the butter and let it melt. Add the onion, garlic, celery, and carrots. Saute, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender.



2. Add the cauliflower and bay leaf. Saute, stirring often, for about 4 minutes.


3. Add the flour, stirring until you cannot see it any more. A little at a time, stir in stock and milk. Stir constantly until thickened.

4. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until cauliflower is fork tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If you feel the mixture is too thick, add a little milk. Stir in bacon and serve immediately.

Other good toppings for this chowder include grated cheddar cheese and chopped green onions.

Adapted from a recipe at The Miniature Moose.



1 comment

  1. I have one similar to this, only it is cauliflower bacon cheeseburger soup. :) I love fried potatoes, but now I make myself fried radishes instead. I also use radishes in my roasts or anything that calls for red potatoes. Our family loved a chicken and cauliflower casserole recipe. Maybe you could google and find that. Oh, and jicama fries. Can't stand how much jicama costs,but I did really like the fries! You have to slice them super thin, though. And I use spaghetti squash for hash browns and for noodles. Alas, I am still overweight. LOL

    ReplyDelete