How to Make Brownies Without a Box (Brownies From Scratch Recipe)

Growing up, I never had brownies from anything other than a boxed mix. And until a few days ago, I'd never made brownies from scratch. Yes, the boxed mixes are full of preservatives, GMO soy, and bad-for-you oils, but because brownies aren't something we eat often, they were low on my list of things to learn to cook from scratch. But when I did finally get around to them...oh my! They were the best brownies my family had ever tasted. And there's even better news: They are quick and easy to prepare! Never eat brownies from a box again, my friends.

How to Make Brownies Without a Box

1/2 cup butter
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate (I use dark chocolate, which is lightly sweetened)
2 eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon real vanilla
3/4 cup all purpose flour

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 x 8 in. pan. (I use coconut oil; butter is a healthier choice, too.) Set aside.

2. Place a medium saucepan over low heat. Add the butter and chocolate. Melt, stirring now and then, until both the butter and chocolate are fully melted. Remove from the heat.


 

3. Add the eggs, sugar, and vanilla and stir until just combined. Stir in the flour until just combined.


4. Spread into the prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes. All to cool on a wire rack.

Variation: If desired, you may add 1/2 cup chopped nuts, while stirring in the flour.

4 comments

  1. Question! I was thinking of making these tonight. Hopefully you can reply soon. I didn't see contact info for you. :) It says unsweetened chocolate, but you have morsels. Are those really not sweetened? I have some morsels on hand right now. I also have powdered unsweetened cocoa, but I'm guessing that won't work either??? Just looking for brownie advice. I hate to run hubby over to the Dollar General before coming home from work... again. Hehe Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Staci, good point! They are dark chocolate, so they probably have *some* sugar in them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. My email address is found under the "What is a Proverbs 31 Woman" link, to the left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the speedy reply! I just didn't know if using the powdered cocoa would be okay in place of the morsels. I found some semi sweet morsels here, so I"m going to try it with those and hopefully it won't be so sweet that we all perish! LOL What a way to go, though!

      Delete