|Ball Heritage jars will soon be discontinued.|
In which I share my favorite posts from this blog's Facebook page.
"I tell you, whoever publicly acknowledges me before others, the Son of Man will also acknowledge before the angels of God. But whoever disowns me before others will be disowned before the angels of God. And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven"
* Three weeks ago, my doctor told me I had diabetes. My blood sugar was high: 260. And my AC1 test, which indicates where the blood sugar has been in recent months, was 9.5%. At 9%, the medical guidelines are to put the patient on insulin. But after talking to my doctor, he gave me three months to get my blood sugar down. He gave me Metformin, which decreases liver glucose production, and suggested I go on a Keto diet. I did, and a few days ago, I had my first normal blood sugar test! I am doing a very strict and very low carb, high fat version of the diet: Nothing made from any type of flour, no rice, no fruit, no veggies that are higher on the glycemic index, and no sugar or any type of sweetener. My hope is to eventually get off the medication, since it does have side effects (like sleepiness) and can be hard on the kidneys and liver. Keeping it up is going to be the hardest part :) Fortunately, I rarely feel deprived. Even at Christmas, I ate turkey, green beans, and broccoli salad. The food was good, and I was satisfied. I do miss popcorn, though...
* Recall on Herr's potato chips.
* Recall of Treehouse Foods mac and cheese.
* Cuisinart recall.
* Ball, the maker of a popular type of canning jar, just announced that come January 2017, they are retiring their colored canning jars. If you want some, now's the time to buy them!
* If you've had a hard frost, and if there's not snow on the ground, now is an excellent time to gather dandelion leaves for eating because the cold weather takes away much of their bitterness. Try picking some, then saute them up for dinner! Or preserve some by freezing, dehydrating, or canning for later use. You can also put the leaves in smoothies.
* Can Probiotic Foods Really Lower Blood Sugar?
* This is so spot on. We're Killing Our Kids and Calling it Love.
Oldies But Goodies:
* Why Every Housewife Needs Safety Goggles
* How to Use a Whole Ham
* 15 Bean Stew Recipe