Staying Healthy When Your Kids Are Not

It's that time of year again. Coughs, sniffles, the flu, oh my! That means it's also the time of year to make sure your medicine cabinet is well stocked, and that you're prepped for those inevitable nights when your child is sick. Just a little planning now makes life so much easier when sickness enters the household! No one enjoys being sick, but I think most moms agree there are few things more miserable than being a mom who is sick. When the one who runs the household is sick, the household does not come to a screeching halt. Unlike most folks, moms don't get to call in sick. So here are a few tips to make sure you keep well - even if your husband or kids are sick. * Wash your hands constantly. This is the best way to avoid most colds and viruses. Use hand sanitizer if soap and water aren't readily available, and do not put your hands around your eyes, nose, or mouth. * Use a neti pot. I was skeptical at first, but I've tested this theory (in an unscientific way) and find it really does seem to work. At the first sign of any sickness in my household, or if I've been around someone who's sick, or if I've been in a large crowd, I use a neti pot before going to bed. Neti pots simply pour salt water through your nasal system - and it's said this is enough to kill any bugs that might otherwise thrive there. I also gargle with salt water. I started doing this last winter, and although my family has been sick several times since then, I've been well.

* Exercise regularly. According to WebMD, regular, moderate exercise helps your immune system fight common bugs. * Avoid carbs. Simple carbohydrates lower your immune system. * Get enough sleep and eat well. Check out this post for more tips on keeping you and your family well this winter.
Share |

2 comments

  1. I was terrified of the neti pot for a long time. I don't like anything to touch my nose, and drowning is a very real fear of mine, so purposely pouring water into my nose was very difficult, but it works. It really does help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teekaroo, I know what you mean. I put off using a neti pot for years. The whole idea of it was a turn off. But once I tried it, I lamented it took me so long to try one!

    ReplyDelete