Creating Christmas Traditions

When you think back to Christmas when you were a kid, what do you remember? I'll bet, more than anything, you remember your family's Christmas traditions. What Christmas traditions have you started for your family? Do they bring your family closer together - and closer to the true meaning of Christmas? Here are some Christmas traditions we enjoy in our household: 

* The Christmas library. Every year I try to purchase at least one Christmas book for the kids. There are classics like A Christmas Carol, The Night Before Christmas, and How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and plenty of Christian books emphasizing the true meaning of Christmas. Some of our favorites include Tiny Baby Jesus, Waiting for Christmas, Saint Nicholas, Touch and Feel Christmas, The Legend of the Christmas Tree, The Legend of the Christmas Stocking, When Mother was Eleven-Foot Four, and The Pine Tree Parable. I keep them on a special, high shelf in the hallway, and they are only brought down at Christmas time. (Alternatively, you could keep them in a box in a cool, dry location.)  

* A birthday cake for Jesus. The kids and I bake a gingerbread cake each year. On Christmas, we put a candle on it and sing "Happy Birthday" to Jesus. This really helps young children understand why we celebrate Christmas.

 

* Baking. Like many families, each year we bake Christmas cookies with lots of sprinkles - and sometimes we put together a gingerbread house from a kit. For the cookies, we alasy incorporate "true meaning of Christmas" images by using a cross cookie cutter and nativity cookie cutters. 

 * Christmas ornaments. When my daughter was 2, I began buying one tree ornament for her every Christmas. Now I do the same with our son. When they move out of the house, they'll get to take the tree ornaments to their own home. But here's the really important part: Each year, I choose an ornament that makes sense for that child, that year. (And if I can't find something suitable, I won't buy an ornament that year.) For example, the year my daughter really realized Christmas was about Jesus, she requested a baby Jesus ornament. This year, my son is all about trains and things on wheels, so I got a train ornament. To keep the memories alive, I write a short note for each ornament, explaining why I thought it suitable for the child. When it's time to store the ornaments, I slip the note in a Ziplock bag, along with the ornament itself. Heirlooms in the making!  

What are your favorite Christmas traditions?

1 comment

  1. I LOVE the ornament idea! I'm so going to do that with my kids.

    Now, if I can find a jumping ornament for my daughter... ;) That's definitely been her year in a nutshell...

    ReplyDelete