Meet the Babies

For about a year and a half, I've wanted chickens in our suburban backyard. I had to convince my husband it was a good thing and find or make an affordable hen house (which was quite a task!). Finally, I managed to do both.

Then I had to decide whether I wanted pullets (think of them as adolescent chickens) or baby chicks. Chicks are more trouble, but as a wise friend reminded me, pullets tend to be less friendly than chickens you raise from babyhood. Besides, my kindergartener needed an end-of-the-year school project. So raising chicks it became.

Because it was too late to order the breeds I really wanted, I chose to go to the local feed store with my daughter. The only probable hens they had left were white Plymouth Rocks, about 4 weeks of age. I think we bought them all. As you can see, even though they are already past the cute fluffy ball stage, they are popular:


Thinking about getting your own chicks? Monday, I'll post my first Chickens 101 post, giving you all the basics of buying and raising chicks.

No comments