The $240 Egg

Yesterday my husband found a surprise in the hen house: Our hens' first egg! We were pleasantly shocked; we didn't expect the chickens to start laying any sooner than August. But we aren't complaining! Because I'm weird like this, I sat down with some receipts to figure out how much our first egg cost us: About $240. Maybe I should serve that egg on a silver platter! 

Of course, making a comparison like that is silly. Getting the hen house and run set up is the expensive part. Keeping the hens fed and cared for is quite cheap. And speaking of store bought eggs, did you know a hen's first eggs are miniature? This photograph shows our first egg (left) alongside a standard store bought egg (right). As hens mature, their eggs gradually become full sized.

1 comment

  1. Congrats! We wont have our first egg till spring I am guessing... Well November is when they are old enough but eggs in the cold? I doubt that will happen. Enjoy your $240 egg! Yum.

    ReplyDelete