Spring in the Garden

I got a late start on my garden this year. The weather was unusually wet, making our backyard one big pond. Although my veggie garden berms were drier than the rest of the garden, I really didn't want to wear waders to plant seeds! But at last, the weather is warming, and signs of spring are popping up everywhere. I thought you might like a little peek.

Tiger's Eye iris, which burst into blooms on Mother's Day. In the background are woodland hyacinths.


Most California Poppy are golden orange, but this one (called Red Chief) is more red. I love this little flower because it naturalizes, filling bare spots in the garden with color. It also has medicinal qualities - primarily as a gentle sleep aid.

I love poppies of all kinds. These are Oriental poppies; they are the Papayer orientale variety, which look like they are made of crepe paper. Only a few are blooming now.
The blueberries are a profusion of blooms. We should have a bumper crop this year!


I'm not sure what this little flower is. It grows in a semi-shade area of my garden, trailing down the sides of the pot by summer.
We have blossoms on our kiwi vines this year; hopefully, we'll get our first fruits in 2012.
The veggie garden isn't much to look at yet. Here are some peas, radishes, and lettuce - and lots of weeds in the paths. In the background are our columnar apple trees, potatoes, an assortment of herbs, some of our hens - and way in the back, some containers holding seedlings.
The radishes will be ready to pick soon!

Share |

1 comment