BLT Salad Recipe

Recently on Facebook, I mentioned making BLT Salad for my family, and many people asked for a recipe. I thought I'd just send them to a link to the recipe on this blog - but no; I'd never posted it! Then I thought I'd send them to the original source for my slightly altered recipe - but I couldn't find that, either. So here it is: My BLT Salad recipe...a real hit in my family, and ideal for warm weather eating.

BLT Salad Recipe:

2 pints of home canned chicken OR 15 - 20 oz. commercially canned chicken OR about 1 lb. of skinless, boneless chicken breasts
13.25 oz. whole grain or vegetable rotini pasta
7 slices of bacon, cooked
about 4 cups torn lettuce
1 -2 tomatoes, chopped

For the Dressing:
1 cup mayonnaise
2/3 cups water
2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
3 teaspoons white vinegar
3 teaspoons chopped fresh chives OR dried chives, soaked in water for 10 minutes, then drained
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
pepper to taste

1. In a large bowl, mix together all the dressing ingredients; set aside.

2. If using fresh or frozen chicken breasts, fill a pot with water and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Add the breasts and gently boil until the chicken is cooked through. Drain and shred chicken with two forks. (If using home- or commercially-canned chicken, skip this step.)



3. Fill a pot with water and bring to a boil over medium high heat. (It's fine to re-use the water from step 2.) Add the pasta and boil until just tender. Drain.

4. In a large serving bowl, mix together the pasta, chicken, bacon (crumbled), lettuce, and tomato. Pour in the dressing and toss until completely coated. Serve hot or chilled.

Serves 6 - 8. (The chilled leftovers are yummy!)

No comments