1. Remove all the linens. I only have two sets of sheets for each bed, so when I remove them, I wash them right away so they are ready to go next time. Although I wash most things in cold water, I wash linens in hot water, which kills dust mites.
2. Once in a while, vacuum the mattress. I only do this with the change of seasons. Again, the idea is to remove as many dust mites as possible.
3. Rotate the mattress. This prolongs the mattress' life and makes it more comfortable for a longer period of time.
4. Put a clean mattress pad over the mattress. It has elastic at every corner, so it's as simple as just slipping it on and making sure the edges are beneath the mattress.
5. Put the fitted sheet on over the mattress pad. I hear tell some people don't have fitted sheets. If that's the case, simply lay a flat sheet over the mattress pad and use hospital corners on all four corners to tuck it under the mattress. (See step 8 for more detailed info on hospital corners.)
6. Center the flat sheet over the bed so the bottom hangs below the mattress and the sides hang the same distance on each side of the bed. The short end of the sheet with the widest hem goes at the head of the bed.
7. Tuck the bottom of the sheet under the mattress, keeping the sheet smooth and wrinkle-free.
8. Make hospital corners at the foot of the bed:
a. Grab and lift the side of the sheet near the bottom corner of the bed and let it sit on top of the bed.
d. Repeat on opposite corner of bed. If you're having trouble visualizing this, click the video below.
9. On both long sides of the bed, tuck the sheet under the mattress,. Although this gives the neatest appearance, some people prefer to skip this step.
10. If desired, center a blanket over the top of the sheet and make hospital corners at the foot and (optionally) tuck in the sides.
11. Place pillow covers on the pillows, followed by pillow cases. If desired, put pillow shams over the pillows. Lay at the top of the bed.
12. Center a comforter or quilt over the top of the bed and smooth out any wrinkles.