It was much more difficult for me to come up with activities for this short book. Because of this, I do recommend browsing through the other Little House activities I've posted and following through with any of the "general pioneer" ideas you may not have already completed with your children. In addition, here are some other ideas:
* Make a lapbook for The First Four Years.
* Watch a video about making sausage. You can find some on YouTube. Better yet, try making some sausage yourself.
* Look at photos of headcheese. Go to an old fashioned butcher shop and buy some to eat. Headcheese used to be very common. Why do you think that was? Why do you think it's unusual now?
* Can you find lard in your local grocery store? (Hint: Try an ethnic market.)
* Watch a video of a live birth (if age appropriate).
* Ask your mother to tell you the story of your birth.
* The last chapter in The First Four Years is titled "A Year of Grace." Look up the definition of "grace." Why do you think Laura gave this chapter that title?
Little House in the Big Woods Activities
Pancake Men (from Little House in the Big Woods)
Little House on the Prairie Activities
Little House on the Prairie Birthday Party
On the Banks of Plum Creek Activities
Little Town on the Prairie Activities
These Happy Golden Years Activities
Farmer Boy Activities