|"The Storm on the Sea of Galilee" by Rembrandt van Rijn.|
Style: Baroque (learn more about the Baroque period here)
See some of Rembrandt's most famous paintings here.
Be sure to give your child plenty of time to study each work of art. Ask: How is Rembrandt's work like the other artists you've studied? How is it different? What stories do Rembrandt's paintings tell? What techniques does he use to tell his stories? Does he use mostly dark or light colors? How does he use shadow and light? See if you can find this answer online or at the library: How large were most of Rembrandt's paintings? Also: Have you ever heard someone being called "a Rembrandt?" What does that mean?
* Biography of Rembrandt
* Longer bio of Rembrandt
* Coloring page: "Simeon and Anna Recognize the Lord Jesus"
* Coloring page: "Jacob Blessing the Sons of Joseph"
* Free brochure about Rembrandt
* Powerpoint lesson for kids on Rembrandt
* Video: Rembrandt's story
* Lesson on one of Rembrandt's most famous works, "Storm on the Sea of Galilee"
* Activity: Use an Impasto technique, similar to Rembrandt's
* Activity: Rembrandt is famous for portraits; here's a simple how-to for kids on how to draw one
Learn more about this free art history curriculum for kids, plus a list of all artists covered so far, by clicking here.