Weekend Links

In which in which I offer highlights from this blog's Facebook page.


* How to Parent Like a German. Lots of studies support these simple, historically embraced ideas, so why are Americans stuck going the opposite direction?

* In case you haven't heard, Kraft has recalled 242,000 cases of macaroni and cheese.

* Please read ingredient lists on food, or you'll be stuck thinking processed, fake cheese is "health food."

* Here's an article every person on the planet should read: A former GMO food scientist explains the problems with GMOs - and the problems scientists face (but shouldn't!) when they speak out against it.

* I've been saying for years that grocery store - and sometimes even farmer's market - organic isn't all it's cracked up to be. Now it's coming to light that the natural sprays frequently used on organic produce may be harmful to human health. Don't Waste the Crumbs explains more stuff that will make you weep.

* There's a huge drought going on in California that's really not being well reported. I'm a native of that state, so I can tell you that California tends to have droughts now and then; this is really nothing new. But about half our produce (conservatively) comes from California - and many fields are currently bare because there's just not enough water to plant them. Yep, this is a great year to start a garden - or expand the one you already have!

* A lot of people are fed up with Facebook not showing all the posts they signed up for, so I just joined Tsu (pronounced "sue"). It allows users to see ALL the posts they want to...and it even pays you for posting. Check it out: https://www.tsu.co/ProverbsThirtyOneWoman

* Do you know what the most germ infested thing is in your kitchen? Happily, it's an easy fix. Just wash it more often!


3 comments

  1. I like the new weekend links. :) I read the German article last time. While it completely intrigues me, and I love the idea, I can't do the whole "let them walk to school/playground, etc" by themselves. Maybe there aren't many abductions in Germany, but America is WICKED these days. Plus, I don't want to take the chance that my child is that 1 in 500 child that gets kidnapped and murdered. I often tell my husband that the reason my kids end up getting on my nerves so bad is that I have to have them in eye range 24/7 and "in the old days" people could turn their kids loose after morning chores and wouldn't see them again until supper. LOL

    I do let my kids take turns checking the mail alone (which is just across the driveway, but still). The older 2 run in small, hometown stores for me to purchase an item or two as long as they are together. Once we split up in Kroger. I gave them a list and me and the 2 younger kids worked on our list. They looked so cute being 10 and 11 with a buggy and a list. They eneded up getting compliments from 2 people on how effeicently they shopped. haha

    Other than that, I drive my husband nuts. I have always let my kids go to the playground and climb things on their own that no other parent would allow their child to do without constant spotting and guarding. I just think as long as it's not something horribly dangerous, kids are going to fall and get hurt and need to learn to have some confidence about things and that failing is okay sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had time to check out the last link in the article. Funny story! When I was in 9th grade, I was in home ec (public school). I remember being HUMILIATED. The teacher asked, "What should we dry our hands on when working in the kitchen - a dish towel or paper towels?" I quickly threw my hand up, being the child of an older parent who lived in the days when you did not waste! My reply was, "Dish towels because paper towels are expensive!" I was beaming... until she said, "No!!! Dish towels spread germs and paper towels can be used once and thrown away." Omgoodness. I. Felt. Dumb. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Staci, glad you're enjoying the new feature! I agree with you on letting kids out by themselves. This is exacerbated by living on a busy street where crazy drivers regularly end up on the side walk. Our town, our neighborhood, is also too high in crime for my taste.

    ReplyDelete