Making (Slow) Progress on Our New Homestead

Do you remember how sloooow time went when you were a kid looking forward to Christmas? That's how I feel, waiting for us to get moved to our new homestead. So I cling to the progress we have made. So far, we've:

* Purchased a shipping container to use first as a storage unit, then (once we have a house and aren't living in our tiny house motor home) as a shop for my hubby. It took forever to find one in our price range. (Don't believe the news stories that say shipping containers are plentiful and cheap! For most of the country, this isn't true. We were happy, however, that our container is one of the few not from China. Ours is from Japan and was used to ship motorcycles here. That made my hubby smile.) So, the shipping container is delivered and placed on top of a moisture barrier and blocks. Yay!

*  Got the shipping container insulated. We looked into buying a shipping container (or maybe a refrigerated truck) that was already insulated, but it was less expensive for us to add the insulation ourselves. We looked at many ways to accomplish insulation, and finally decided it made the most sense to hire a pro to spray foam into it. A bonus: This method uses up less space than other methods of insulation, so there's more room to store things. (Wondering why we bothered to insulate the shipping container? Because without it, changes in
temperature would cause weeping inside the container - which would lead to moldy books, papers, fabrics, photos...and a ruined piano.)

* Started packing and moving things into storage. For years, my husband used a small cargo trailer for storage, so everything he had in there is now in the shipping container. I've also started packing up the one room in our house that needs some repairs...and my husband has transferred those boxes into the container, too. (Incidentally, hubby says we have only two types of boxes: Books and fragile. So funny because it's so true!)

The past couple of weeks, I've paused in packing because it was just too much for me to start homeschool and pack, too. I will get back to it this weekend. Once the room is clear, we'll repair it. Then we can fix up the rest of the house - mostly paint, I hope.

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...

3 comments

  1. Progress is progress! You just don't realize how much you've accumulated over the years until you start to move. Whew! Hard work. Yay for progress. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Staci, it's not so much that STUFF is slowing us down. It's more time and energy on my husband's part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anything to do with houses seems to take a lot of time! I enjoyed reading your post, and I truly believe that, every small step counts. The shipping container is a good idea as well. I will be so interested to see your next steps. I bet everything is going to look amazing. Keep taking one step forward at a time.

    ReplyDelete