DIY Cinnamon Sugar

Recently, my son's pediatrician recommended we try a no-wheat diet for our 6 year old son who's
been experiencing tummy troubles. Knowing this was just a trial, I didn't want to invest in the many ingredients to make gluten free bread at home - but at the same time, I was constantly getting puppy dog eyes because the little guy was longing for bread. So I bought some gluten free bread. Sadly, not only was it expensive ($8 for a tiny loaf), but it didn't taste very good. My solution? I toasted and buttered the bread and sprinkled cinnamon sugar over it. A success!

But, if you've been reading this blog for long, you probably know I don't like to buy spice blends. Some store bought blends have unhealthy ingredients. Others, like cinnamon sugar, are just more expensive to buy already blended. And cinnamon sugar is so easy to make, I just can't bear to buy it pre-blended. Here's how I make my own:

DIY Cinnamon Sugar

All you need is sugar, cinnamon, and an air tight container to store your blend in.
1. Find a container for your finished spice blend. I use a cinnamon sugar container I bought eons ago, but any glass jar with a well-fitting lid will work great. You could even use a Ziplock style bag.

2. Measure out 1/4 cup of sugar. I recommend cane sugar, since beet sugar or sugar of unknown origins is usually GMO. Pour the sugar into a bowl.



3. Measure out 4 tablespoons of cinnamon. Add it to the bowl.


4. Stir the sugar and cinnamon together and transfer to your air tight container. If you're like me, you'd also better label the container or you may confuse it with taco seasoning or something equally yucky on toast.
You can, of course, adjust these measurements to suit your personal taste. For us, though, this ratio of sugar to cinnamon is just right - not too sweet and not too "cinnamony."

No comments