|Spider webs are an amazing part of God's creative design!|
In which I share my favorite posts from this blog's Facebook page.
"Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me, for in you my soul takes refuge; in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge till the storms of destruction pass by."
* We are expecting a hurricane to hit us this Saturday. Hurricane! I had no idea we got them here! Apparently, large ones don't come often, but they do come. They are comparing the one expected this weekend to another that hit in the 1960s and destroyed buildings all over town. We are a little concerned, because we have a lot of windows, but no way to cover them. But the previous owners of our house said it was built above and beyond the hurricane code; let's hope they were truthful.
In preparation, I picked the remaining apples off the tree and harvested any figs that were ripe or close to it (I can't stand to see food go to waste), and tried to remove as many light things (like lawn chairs) from the yard as possible. I do still have potted plants out. We have extra water, plus firewood, food, and paper plates and plastic utensils (so we don't have to boil water to wash dishes if the power goes out).
Last night, was a strong storm with rain and wind. We could see our windows flexing. The puppy, who sleeps in a sheltered area in a large crate outside, barked so much last night, we had to get up in the wee hours and move him to an outbuilding. He's afraid of the wind. (He needs to get over that because we live in a windy area!) Tonight, maybe, we'll bring his crate in. The bunny can come in, too...but not the chickens!
I'm reading there have been tornadoes in nearby areas today - again, rare, but they do happen here sometimes.
Please pray for the safety of everyone in our area. This is not Florida; we aren't used to this type of weather and most people are completely unprepared. We need God's protection.
* Several recalls: Blue Bunny ice cream, Nestle Drumstick ice cream, and Lunchables.
* A report that Similac formula may contain maggots.
* I've written before about the fact that our ancestors, who sometimes canned veggies in a water bath canner (which is now known as a good way to poison someone) may have gotten away with it because they boiled canned veggies before serving them. But here's a great article that explains some other reasons past generations may have (or may not have!) gotten away with unsafe canning procedures.
* Intestinal diversity protects against asthma. Fermented foods are your friend!
* Fire cider is easy to make, and many people swear by it's ability to keeps colds and flu at bay!
This week, I didn't post any gift ideas, but here are a few I mentioned on Facebook the week previous that didn't make it into last weeks' Weekend Links. See last weeks' suggestions here. See part one of the Christmas Countdown here and click here for part two.
Christmas Countdown Gift #16: Family Games. Yes, kids enjoy games. But when the whole family plays, games take on a whole new, important place! Board and card games are an easy way for families to spend quality time together, building relationships. Here are some of my family's favorites.
Christmas Countdown Gift #17: Food Saver. They really do make food last longer in the freezer - or if it's dehydrated. Truly a must if your recipient preserves food or shops sales to get more affordable meat and produce. We have this exact model and love it!